*Throu.A.Flux*

Marketing and Communications blog
Freshly graduated and addicted to inspirational bloggers, musings about my career and tools I find fun or useful.

The Problem with Being Babylon

Tuesday

I'm strongly considering buying the "classic" financial/investing book, "The Richest Man in Babylon." I've been told (by all the people who know these things) that's it's THE book to read. And it appeals to me; I believe completely in ancient wisdom. I believe that anything true will always be true, and history will prove what is real and what is false.

Here's my crisis:

The richest man in Babylon... is still in Babylon.

Is that where I want to be? In antiquity, the Israelites passed on to the Promised Land after being captive in Babylon. Do I want to get sucked into this cycle of earning and spending and achieving and spending and striving?

If I don't like that my shelves are full of half-read "good" books and my files are full of "useful" papers I never really use... Why am I doing it?

Where do I want to be? This week I'm going to sit with the questions "Why" and "Where." Why am I doing these things? Where do I want to live: Babylon? Israel? Somewhere else?


How about you? What's your "why" or "where"?

2 comments:

SharonMarie said...

Have you considered the library? If your library does not have the book they may be able to acquire it through an interlibrary loan system or they might even buy it. My library has purchased a couple books upon my request. By borrowing the book you can check it out and if it is all they say it is then buy it.

If the half read books are a problem re-evaluate them. If they no longer fit your way of life give them away or have a yard sale. Spring is a great time for yard sales. :)

Catie said...

Great idea, Sharon! I'll check it out.

I'm re-discovering how wonderful the library is. It's a shame we take things for granted when they're free, huh?

Post a Comment