*Throu.A.Flux*

Marketing and Communications blog
Freshly graduated and addicted to inspirational bloggers, musings about my career and tools I find fun or useful.

Do You Believe in the Magic?

Sunday


We like to believe the magic. I've seen this in two movies so far (and quite a few conversations)...

I'm half-way through Mansfield Park, and Fanny is desperate for that magic love she felt once. She can't accept anything else, even if she risks living alone in poverty forever.

Similarly, in The Adjustment Bureau, the protagonist feels something once, and he's hooked for life. Why do we do this? Should we?

I feel this same feeling when it comes to shopping. I'm serious. I spent an hour shopping online for a travel bag which would make me feel 'magical.' I looked at wheeled duffles, because Chris Brogan loved one; I looked at Dianne Von Fustenberg, because I remembered a reference to her in Life From Scratch; I tried the cheap-o bags, because my dad likes to live sans-frills.

In the end, I chose a bag which is no more functional or beautiful than any other... but it was the one my heart first settled on.

Advertisers try to convince people that this product will give them the 'magic' feeling or they'll get that 'magic' result, but I want to be the kind of marketer who helps a customer access that thing their heart first settled on.

What does that mean? I'm not sure... What would I do? I don't know... But I do know it doesn't include false promises or convincing or hyping. It does honesty.

0 comments:

Post a Comment